Something is happening with Verizon’s login system, and I don’t know what it is.
My issues started sometime last week, when I tried to log into my account. It rejected the password that had worked with the generic explanation that “The information you entered does not match the information we have on file.” I tried resetting my password and thought that had worked until my login attempt with the new password yielded the same error message.
I put that aside for a day or three–I’ve never used my Verizon e-mail for anything, so there wasn’t any particular urgency to this problem–and then resumed my debugging Saturday. My login attempts once again failed, so I tried Verizon’s tech-support chat.
Over the next 30 minutes in the chat and then over the phone, Janine and I went through another password reset or two that also failed to work. She then suggested I try using a different username and a temporary password in Chrome instead of Safari; that got me as far as a mandatory password-change screen that took me to an error message reporting that this username was invalid.
I did what anybody would in this situation, complain about it on Twitter. The @VerizonSupport account promptly responded and asked me to send them a DM. I needed four to sum up my situation. They replied by sending me a link to a chat room–not the same as before, but a “Social Media Support” room.
(Memo to Verizon Web coders: If you need to add a dialog advising the user that “The Popup blocker prevented the chat window opening,” you’re doing it wrong.)
Ricardo seemed a little more empowered than Janine. He confirmed that he was seeing the same errors as me, said he’d opened a trouble ticket, and provided a temporary password. He then followed up with a phone call and said I’d get a numeric PIN in a voicemail message, then called again later to verify that I’d received the PIN and to ask me to try logging in again.
That failed once again in Safari–but in Chrome I was finally able to log in, reset my password and then have normal access to my account.
I’ve since gotten five robocall messages on my home phone from Verizon informing me that a change was made to my account and that I should call if I had not made that change; thanks, Vz, but I’m good.
What’s completely bizarre is that four days later, I still can’t log in via Safari on my iMac, while Chrome and Firefox are no problem–and so is Safari on my MacBook Air. I’ve tried using a private-browsing window for my Safari login, deleting all Verizon cookies, and deleting all Verizon cookies and using a private-browsing window, and none of those things have worked.
I have no idea what could cause all this, but I do know this not how Web logins are supposed to work. I’ve asked Verizon PR for an explanation but haven’t gotten much beyond this vague explanation: “From what we can tell, your issue resulted from logins attempted while our work to augment our secure authentication platform was underway.”
I also know from the Twitter replies above that I’m not the only person experiencing this issue. If you are too, please tell me about your experience and, if you’ve gotten the problem solved, how you went about that.